Careers – BURG Translations
Who we are…
BURG Translations is one of the oldest translation companies in the U.S. We got our start in 1936 and we’ve been providing high quality translations to life sciences, medical device manufacturers, hospitals, pharmaceuticals, law firms and other industries ever since.
Our decades of experience and expertise mean we can take on the most complex projects, but we know that it’s only because of our dedicated team of amazing people, who work hard to exceed our client’s expectations every day.
We’re dedicated to our people, because we know our team is our greatest asset.
As part of the BURG Translation team, you will enjoy a fun, fast-paced start-up like culture where you have a clear career path for growth.
Why work here?
We’ll let some of our team speak for themselves about their experiences at BURG:
- “Lots of room for growth with a translation company that’s been in business for over 85 years!”
- “Great work environment, CEO and President care about their employees and what you will learn at the job. Coworkers are great.”
- “Small company, interesting and lively coworkers, free lunch.”
- “Management is focused on supporting the team with all the necessary training and opportunities for professional development. A Client Manager has the opportunity to work on a variety of projects with large corporate clients and leads each project from initiation to delivery. It is a very flexible work environment: working remotely is encouraged though not mandatory, time off is flexible and [management] is very accommodating in regards to any special requests for time off/working remotely. Bonuses can significantly add to the basic compensation and primarily depend on the dollar value of the projects managed.”
Who are we looking for?
You enjoy a fun, dynamic company culture and share our Core Values (below). You may not have translation industry experience, or even project management experience, but you do work at a fast pace and keep a positive, friendly attitude, while staying well organized.
We’re also looking for people who want to stick around and grow their skills and career. If you’re just looking for place to work for the next year and then move on, we’re probably not the best fit. We invest in our people and we’re looking for people who want to invest in us.
You can find more specific requirements for each job below.
What are our Core Values?
Value: We believe in the value of every person. We have empathy for others, respect ourselves, our fellow team members and our clients.
Intention: We work and live with intention. We work to understand and meet expectations, measure outcomes and be present in our work.
Perseverance: We recognize the importance of overcoming obstacles in order to achieve results and exceed expectations.
Think you’re a good fit?
Check out the career opportunities below and submit your resume/CV!
Project Manager - (Open)
Our culture is very much like a start-up (dynamic, fast-paced, and focused our clients and growth), but with one big difference – the advantage of 85 years of clients, team development and success.
Your role will be to develop yourself professionally and contribute to growing the organization globally. It will include everything from socializing with strangers to learn if we can help them meet their business goals, to coordinating multiple projects simultaneously with our teams around the world. Like any start-up environment, the work can be intense but also fun.
BURG is unique in that we train everyone to handle every aspect of every kind of project. It allows us to better communicate with our clients and deliver a superior level of customer service. Our clients come from industries such as life sciences, legal, publishing, insurance, finance, manufacturing, marketing and advertising.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Project Manager is responsible for supporting Client Managers.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Welcoming new clients by email and phone
- Valuating projects
- Tracking and file handling
- Managing global teams
- Supporting Client Managers
The role is meant to be the start of a career in translation project management and consulting. Over time, the plan is to advance your professional development to the status of a Client Manager. Progression depends on both your ability to master this role, and our pace of growth.
- Detail oriented
- Professional-level English in both speaking and writing.
- Professionalism: Comfortable talking with strangers on the phone in a professional manner. Ability to write professional emails.
- Type at 70 words/minute, fluent in MS Office, ideally can work in Adobe InDesign, knowledge of industry tools.
Please include your CV, DISC Assessment results, and WPM typing speed when applying.
Sales Development Representative (Closed)
- 2+ years’ experience in lead generation, lead nurturing and appointment setting
- Demonstrate an understanding of the localization sales cycle and how to map organizations in regard to business units, stakeholders, sponsors, and decision makers
- Work closely with the following groups: Marketing for lead generation activities; Customer Success for Account Management
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in order to present and find opportunities to propose BURG Translation Services
- Keen sense of urgency, motivation and professionalism
- Ability to work well individually and as a member of a team
- Self-starting with solid follow-through and multi-tasking capabilities
- Ability to handle a fast-paced environment and challenging workload
- Excellent presentation skills, verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills
- Strong Internet research skills mandatory
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, policies and procedures within the localization industry is preferred
- Solid Proficiency utilizing enterprise CRM tool such as Salesforce.com and Microsoft Dynamics CRM, as well as Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook.
- Proven ability to acquire new customers both via phone and face-to-face meetings
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent, preferably in related field
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary will be based on experience
- Simple IRA
Client Manager (Closed)
We are much like a start-up but with a big advantage – 80 years of clients, team development and success. Your role will be to develop yourself professionally and contribute to growing the organization globally. It will include everything from socializing with strangers to learn if we can help them meet their business goals to coordinating multiple projects simultaneously with people around the world. Like any start-up environment, the work can be intense but also fun.
Role and Responsibilities
The Client Manager is responsible for managing a portfolio of accounts. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing clients
- Valuating projects
- Tracking, delivering, invoicing and following up with projects
- Managing a global team
Bringing in new business if applicable
Types at 70 words/minute, fluent in MS Word, ideally can work in Adobe Indesign, knowledge of industry tools.
Compensation & Benefits
- $42,000 – $50,000 per year
- 4.5% sales commission, if applicable, on new non-referral accounts for the first 2 years
- Approximately 1.25 – 2.5% in bonus on all invoiced projects performed depending on performance and relationship with client.
- 2018 Transportation reimbursement: Up to $255/month
- Simple IRA
- Mobile phone for work in case of client issues
- Laptop to work from home when needed
To be a translator or editor for BURG Translations, we seek the following criteria:
- Specialize in one language pair
- Translate into your native language
- Have at least one college degree
- Have specialized training in one domain area, such as medicine, law, etc.
- Have 5 or more years of experience as a full-time professional freelance translator
- Use MemoQ or a TM that has a QA reporting feature to deliver QA reports with your translations
- Be willing to also be an editor
- Invoice in USD
Executive Assistant (Closed)
This is a part-time/internship role that is expected to become a full-time role when appropriate. The role of the Executive Assistant is to assist the CEO in running the company. The company is based in the Loop and about 200 freelance vendors around the world. We have 80 years experience with clients, team development and success. Your role will be to develop yourself professionally and contribute to growing the organization globally. It will include everything from bookkeeping and managing vendor relations to analyzing data to maximize revenue and creating marketing material. Like any start-up environment, the work can be intense but also fun. You will need to be a well-organized problem solver.
- Data entry 25%
- Data management 25%
- Data analysis 25%
- Data reporting 25%
Type at 70 words/minute, fluent in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), Quickbooks, ideally can code.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, between 8:30am and 5pm. The hours will increase with availability. Apply Now